Thursday, July 24, 2014

Growing, Growing, Grown



I’m a woman that loves the “girly” side but enjoy sports as well.  Although I’m not a baseball fan, the phase & analogy came to me as I was in the planning stages of documenting my hair journey.  I’ll save the details of my journey for another post but here’s an overview of how the hair “game” started for me.

The Dugout (preparation for the game)- Three months after giving birth to my daughter, August 2012, my hair began to shed in massive uncontrollable amounts.  I thought & even mentioned to my husband that at the rate I was losing hair I would be bald within a month or two.  After visiting several doctors, ending in the same answer, and with reluctance, I decided it was time to accept the process I was going through and started doing research on healthy hair…and the “game” (the journey) began!

Home Base (out the box)- I stepped out onto plate, ready for bat!  I stopped going to the salon every week to 2 weeks and began caring for my hair at home.  This was so different for me. Stepping out of my norm was definitely a huge faith move!  There were so many “what ifs”, doubt, running through my head.  That’s when I had trust God like never before with my hair. As I was researching, I stumbled upon a few natural hair journey websites and thought this is it….I should go natural for healthier hair, which led me to……

1st Base (the decision to transition)- After talking to a few women that I knew were natural, I decided to transition to natural because big chopping was NOT an option for me.  At the time, my hair was a little past my shoulders so to go to ½ inch to 2 inches would be too drastic.  The first 2-3 months were somewhat easy.  My new growth was coming in but still manageable.  A couple of times, I had a friend mine flat iron my hair & it was bone straight at 10-12 weeks post so I thought “oh I can do this!”  But 16-24 weeks post, my thoughts changed….my hair began to break off, styling was almost impossible.  My hair lacked moisture, health, strength and everything else in between, which caused me take a run to 2nd base….. 

2nd Base (the decision not to transition) - Deciding not to transition was so tough for me.  I felt like I was a failure & was letting so many ppl down by deciding to get a relaxer. I waivered back & forth, talked in depth with my husband, and another lady who was supporting me through my transition.  It was at that time God reminded me I had not consulted Him in the process.  After prayer & waiting, the answer came to relax my hair.  I had to do what was best for me & my hair.  So after 6 months transitioning, I went to the salon for a relaxer.

3rd Base (Recovering from the setback)-  On March 5, 2014.  I went to the salon for a relaxer after 25 weeks post.  After the relaxer was rinsed & neutralized, I returned to the stylist chair only to be confronted with a disaster!  My hair was matted/tangled!  What in the world happened!?!?!?!?  Instead of just snatching the knots out, I decided to go home to single strain detangle my hair.  Here is what some of the knots looked like…

 

Horrible, right!?!?!?!?!?!  Yes, I know!

BUT GOD!  I am recovering from this major setback.  Here is my current length.  It shows that I am BSL (bra strap length). However in this picture my hair is damp.  I will consider this an unofficial length check. 

I will document my progress & continue to trust God for another 3-4 inches of healthy hair growth.  Until the next post…..Do something ForHisGlory!

No comments:

Post a Comment